Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Not Your Ordinary Mac-n-Cheese

Cheese - my favorite food in the world. Cheese makes everything better! I love cooking with it, eating it plain, melting it over chips, or experimenting with tasting different cheeses with good wine. I love how the flavors change after taking taking a sip of wine - and I love how the wine feels and tastes after the cheese.

I've been buying and trying different types of cheese lately and decided to mix them all together tonight in a fancier version of my homemade mac-n-cheese. Fresh Gruyere, pecorino-romano, Parmesan, mozzarella, cheddar, and asiago along with some black truffle oil took this usually ordinary dish to another level.

Here is what I used -
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced (I'll use 2 cloves next time)
- 3 tsp butter
- 1 cup of milk
- 8 oz elbow noodles
- 1 tsp flour
- About ½ c each of shredded cheeses: Gruyere, asiago, pecorino-romano, cheddar, Parmesan
- ½ c breadcrumbs. I mixed Italian breadcrumbs with some plain. It would be good with Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs, too
- A few dashes each of salt, freshly ground black pepper, and red pepper flakes
- Black truffle oil

While cooking the macaroni, I melted the butter in pan and then added the onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. I added some flour and stirred to make a roux, and then added the milk and just a touch of cream. After it started to bubble, I added the cheeses, reserving just a little bit for a topping. The salt and pepper went in and then I added the cooked noodles. Once in the baking dish, I topped it with the rest of the cheese and the breadcrumbs. Here is the best part... I drizzled the top with some black truffle oil. It baked covered on 400 for about 15 min, and then I uncovered it and turned on the broiler for just a minute.

Heavenly! The cheeses blended together perfectly, and the black truffle oil gave it a nice, earthy flavor. This turned out to be a very "grown-up" mac-n-cheese. I think I need to treat myself to seconds tonight!

Print this post


Amber said...

That looks and sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

DeborahSW said...

Looks wonderful! And black truffle oil, you're such a foodie! ;)

jenmadge said...

What the heck is black truffle oil?!?! :)

Stacy said...

Holy cow. I'd love to try to work some dry white wine into this. Gourmet mac n cheese is quite possibly the best invention ever.

Karen said...

What a cute idea MaryEllen! I love the blog!!!! I had one but closed it down for now. Can't wait to see more yummy recipes!


Joelen said...

Your cheese combination plus the addition of truffle oil sounds amazing!