Friday, May 25, 2007

Homemade Take-Out


We are convinced that there aren't any good Chinese restaurants in this area. We've tried at least 5 and none have impressed us. I wish we could order from The Lotus, our favorite Chinese spot outside Portland, Maine, but I doubt they'd deliver 400 miles away!

My solution to this dilemma? Make it myself, of course! Tonight was Beef with Broccoli over rice. It's so easy and tastes pretty authentic, but without the MSG. I've also made vegetable lo mein, pepper steak over rice, various stir fry dishes, and even homemade dumplings (I need more practice to perfect the dumplings!).


Here is my Beef with Broccoli recipe:

- 1 pound of steak sliced into strips (I buy the steak that is already sliced into "stir-fry" strips)
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 package dry gravy mix, mixed with 1 cup of water
- soy sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- red pepper flakes

How to:
- A few hours before cooking, marinate your steak in some soy sauce and Worcestershire
- Cook steak halfway through in a large saute pan; drain off just a little of the excess fat
- Add garlic (minced), onion, red pepper flakes, and a little more soy sauce (the amounts are totally up to you - I don't measure what I do, I just throw it in until it smells and tastes good!)
- Add broccoli. Cover and let cook about 3-4 minutes.
- Add gravy. Cover, lower heat, and let simmer for 10 minutes or so. The sauce will thicken.
- Serve over rice

Print this post

1 comment: